Sequenom, Inc. (NASDAQ: SQNM)
, a life sciences company providing innovative diagnostic testing and genetic analysis solutions, announced preliminary highlights of the Company's 2012 performance and accomplishments.
SQNM - Initial 2012 Performance Results (unaudited)
- Total revenue of approximately $89 million, growth of approximately 59 percent year-over-year for 2012
- Diagnostic services revenues of approximately $46 million, compared to $8.3 million in 2011. Diagnostic services revenues continue to be recorded primarily as cash is received
- Sales in the Genetic Analysis business of approximately $43 million
- More than 92,000 total prenatal and retinal diagnostic tests accessioned during the year
- Strong increases in the adoption rate and sales of Sequenom Center for Molecular Medicine's (Sequenom CMM) MaterniT21 PLUS lab-developed test (LDT):
- More than 60,000 MaterniT21 PLUS tests accessioned in 2012
- An annualized run rate of more than 120,000 MaterniT21 PLUS tests accessioned at the end of 2012
- Approximately 56 million lives under coverage with growing number of payor contracts
- Continued reimbursement as an out-of-network laboratory from large commercial payors
- Total cash, cash equivalents, and marketable securities as of December 31, 2012 were approximately $176 million
- Cash burn of approximately $17 million for the fourth quarter of 2012
"2012 was a year of remarkable progress for Sequenom. The rapid adoption of the Sequenom CMM's MaterniT21 PLUS by the OB/GYN physician community far exceeded the Company's internal goal and the estimates of industry analysts. The joint recommendation by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) and the Society of Maternal and Fetal Medicine (SMFM) for the use of noninvasive prenatal tests (NIPT) such as the MaterniT21 PLUS in high risk pregnancies provided an additional validation for this technology. The company also exceeded the majority of its other goals as it established Sequenom CMM as a leader in the prenatal testing market," said Harry F. Hixson, Jr, Ph.D., Chairman and CEO of Sequenom. "We look forward to the continued growth of the MaterniT21 PLUS LDT in 2013 and the corresponding increase in test capacity. We plan to work with national and regional payors to establish additional contracts facilitating the availability of the MaterniT21 PLUS LDT to high-risk pregnant women throughout the United States."
About Sequenom - SQNM
Sequenom, Inc. (SQNM) is a life sciences company committed to improving healthcare through revolutionary genetic analysis solutions. Sequenom develops innovative technology, products and diagnostic tests that target and serve discovery and clinical research, and molecular diagnostics markets. SQNM was founded in 1994 and is headquartered in San Diego, California.